For over 130 years, the Alabama Alpha Chapter of Phi Delta Theta has been one of the most outstanding fraternities at the University of Alabama.
The Alabama Alpha Chapter of Phi Delta Theta was originally the sixth fraternity at the University of Alabama and retains a long and storied history at the University, both in and out of the classroom. The Alabama Alpha Chapter received its charter from the national fraternity on October 17, 1877 making it the first Phi Delt Chapter in the state of Alabama, thus it was deemed the “Alabama Alpha” Chapter of Phi Delta Theta.
The Founding members of Alabama Alpha are as follows:
- 1 Oliver F. Smith
- 2 Thomas M. Hobbs
- 3 Thomas H. Spencer
- 4 John J. Mickle
- 5 Matthew R. Knox
- 6 Ernest McCreary
- 7 James C. Smith
- 8 John S. Mooring
A University ban on all fraternities caused the chapter to run SUB ROSA until 1883. Meetings were then allowed and were initially held in Woods Hall and later in Philomatic Hall. Members began a search for a suitable house in 1905 and within 3 years a chapter house was built on the Pelham Brown lot next to University Blvd. The chapter house was relocated to the corner of Wallace Wade Ave. and University Blvd. in 1920 where it stood until the fire of 1957. The Phi Delta Theta House was then rebuilt in the same location and remained on University Blvd. just steps away from Bryant Denney Stadium until May 2012.
The new chapter house was completed in time for members to move in for the Fall 2012 semester. Modeled after Mount Vernon, the new Phi Delta Theta house is located down the street along fraternity row, but still remains on University Blvd. The Phi Delta Theta House has been upgraded from a beloved, but very dilapidated facility, to arguably the nicest house on campus.
For over 130 years, the Alabama Alpha chapter of Phi Delta Theta has been one the most outstanding chapters at the University of Alabama and plans to continue this great tradition for many years to come.
The Chapter Today
Currently, the chapter sits at a healthy 130 members. We are in a privileged position to be able to recruit such fantastic members to join our ranks. In recent years we have had numerous members in leadership positions on campus. This includes having the SGA President and IFC President.
As a chapter, we continue to strive for academic and philanthropic excellence. Last Spring we achieved a 3.06 collective GPA mark, the highest the chapter has achieved in at least 20 years. In the realm of philanthropy, we racked up 1,832 hours of community service which averages out to 20 hours for the then 94 man chapter. In recent years we have climbed to new heights and we will continue to look to improve while we continue to cherish and foster the tradition of Phi Delta Theta at The University of Alabama.
The Chapter House
Completed in 2012 and modeled after Mount Vernon, the new chapter house is located at 190 University Boulevard. The house is a monstrous 25,000 square feet and provides an immense amount of pride to Phis everywhere. The chapter has a full kitchen and staff which provides three meals per day, Monday through Friday. The first floor features a large open foyer, formal and informal living rooms, along with a courtyard and band room. The second and third floors have a combined 36 single bedrooms with individual private bathrooms. Rooms on the second floor are all similar in size while the rooms on the third floor are larger and vary in size. Needless to say, our house is incredible and it provides us with a fantastic space to thrive during our collegiate experience!